Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Madam Bovary

I live in a very small town with a rather impressive new library. A library with a book club that I just recently discovered, and one of those Keuring Coffee makers, and lush club chairs. It really is pretty spectacular.
Oh and the club chairs are positioned around..wait for it..the fireplace. Yes indeed, it is a very nice place to spend time.

The book of the month is Madam Bovary which I confess to having never read. I was just grateful it wasn't 50 Shades of Grey. Can't really seeing myself waxing poetic in a group over that bit of drivel. One thing I have noted is that I am always a little hesitant to read books that have been translated into English, even the Bible. I don't like being held subject to an opinion of what another meant.

That said, without being too far into the book I am reminded of another book I read that held me captivated from the second page. Water for Elephants. The writing styles nor the story lines are nothing alike but they both are grounded in intense description. Listen to me, now don't I sound all lofty and pretentious.lol
Really not my intent.

Another book it reminds of is Les Miserables, again for the descriptive content of nearly every aspect and emotion that takes place in the story. I believe that is what is known as a well fleshed story.
I have never before been involved in a book club. I've only seen representations of them in movies, I wonder if it will be like that. I am somewhat excited to discover just how it will be.

I love books and have always chosen them over movies or television. I love getting lost in a good story, especially one that uses words I am unfamiliar with in such good context I actually know what they mean.
Well, this is certainly a far cry from the topics I usually write about, but I am still finding my legs in this somewhat horseless life of mine. I miss the ponies but I really did need a break from all of the drama and trauma that goes with them.

So if any of you have read Madam Bovary or any other book that you think is stellar please do share. It is a relatively small book so I will be needing new material soon.
Good Lord, I just proofread this and it sounds like a description ad that one places with a dating service. And I like long walks in the woods, dogs, and cocoa.*snort*

6 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

book club sounds fun, if I ever settle down and get to read again, I am in

wolfbitch said...

If you loved Bovary, you could try reading Anna Karenina, which has that same lush description and a similar plot. However, it's Russian, so be prepared for everybody having about 27 names/nicknames/patronymics and so on. To be honest, Karenina is more fun as a movie, since the book has entire sections that are skippable as they have little to do with the plot.

I read a lot, too--what kinds of books do you like? It's hard to suggest one without knowing what your tastes are. Don't worry, you won't hear Shades of Grey or Twilight from me!

Dena said...

Not really loving Madam Bovary just interested enough to plow on.
The French are rather wordy but what held me enthralled with Les Miserables has me stumbling a bit in this novel.
I like learning while I read so I very much appreciate accurate historical reference and other facts weaved in.
I am currently reading another book called Glamorous Illusions by Lisa T. Bergren which is fairly well written. I went through a long period of reading historical romance novels, bodice rippers I believe they are called. The Red Tent was also very good. Sometimes I judge a books goodness by its ability to just suck me in exclusive to all other thought. So much so, that I do not even remember the title or the author. Shameful I know.
Barbara Wood I think it is has some interesting to me stuff. Oh and I like magic factored in go figure. I read all of Anne Rice's work even though those kind of stories scare the bejesus out of me.
Fern we don't have television besides dvds so reading for entertainment comes easy for us. But step away for awhile and it is hard to just find something that appeals.

wolfbitch said...

If you're not really LOVING Bovary, then you'll hate Karenina, so forget that one. If you like to read some history with your fiction, and you like a little magic and fantasy, try any of the Count de Saint-Germain books by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. That woman does a shitload of research, and Saint-Germain, the hero, is also a vampire. Her books describe his life during varying historical periods, like Ivan the Terrible or Rome under Nero and such. I wouldn't call them bodice rippers, either, although there's some good sex in them! Plus, even though it's a series, you can start anywhere since each book stands on its own. There are three companion books written about Atta Olivia Clemens, also a vamp, and Saint-Germain's oldest friend.

I'm in the middle of re-reading the ones I own right now!

Cut-N-Jump said...

Hahahaha, I got nuthin'.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Maybe Good Reads has something that you may find interesting, entertaining or even amusing. And since you mentioned 50 shades of Shit, I give you one of the reviews- Definitely a "Good Read" which is priceless to put it mildly. There are 3 books, read the reviews for them all. You won't be able to stop. Promise